WOW: Jacob’s Sinking Feeling Gen 25 – 35
Intro: Jacob was blessed because he valued birthright; he was not blessed because of his deceitful heart.
Note: what do you do with good and bad in people? Go Esau – I am going to kill you – run? Good-bad/oil-water
- Jacob – walking on water – conquer yourself / fear.
- Jacob was determined to shape his future at ANY cost rather than trust God to lift him up. Are you playing Game of Thrones with your life? “What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you?You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. (1 Peter 5:16).
- The birthright = authority – position – money.
- That sinking feeling comes when you lie to the people who care about and love you.
- That sinking feeling comes when you betray the people who are close to you.
- 1:16-17… by Him all things were created in heaven, on earth, visible, invisible, thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
- That sinking feeling comes when you realize your choices and actions have forced you to run away.
- Naya Riviera (Glee) and Ryan Dorsey walking their two year old son. She was arrested, splitting his lip.
- That sinking feeling comes when you finally have to face your choices and behaviors (reunion w/ Esau).
- Abram to Abraham – from exalted father to father of many. Jacob to Israel – from “heel holder” / supplantor / tricky to “God prevails”.