I CHOOSE LOVE
Galatians 5:22-23 … The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. No one writes a law against such things.
- John 13:34 … they will know you are my disciples by …
- Luke 6:32 … even sinners love those who love them …
Intro: Do you know someone who is hard to love, to live with?
- They love to talk and boast and give you a headache?
- Have insight, but are filled with criticism of failings?
- Has the ability to get a lot done, but rolls over people?
- Is generous with time and money, and boasts about it?
- They disappoint, lack follow-through or often negative?
That’s how Paul describes the results of people who live life without the Christ-like love – the AGAPE love – Jesus showed us and gave us to share with our community.
If I speak with the languages of men and angels, but do not have love, I am only a pounding gong or clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophesy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge and have faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I AM NOTHING. If I give all I own to the poor and sacrifice my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I GAIN NOTHING.
What is the kind of love human-kind knows?
In the OT: know intimately … compassion … mercy
- Deut 5:9-10 … You must not worship or serve any other gods, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God. I punish the sons, grandsons, great-grands for the sin of the fathers who reject me, but I show covenant faithful-ness to the thousands who choose me and keep my commandments.
In the NT: Storge … Phileo … Eros … Agape
What is the kind of love Jesus’ Holy Spirit gives?
- Is not proud – Is not boastful – Does not envy
- Love does not dishonor others.
- Love is not self-seeking.
- Love does not keep a record of wrongs.
- Love is not happy with evil, but is happy with truth.
- Love protects, trusts, hopes perseveres.
Nothing lasts except love
- There is coming a day when prophesies aren’t needed.
- A day language barriers will be eliminated.
- A day when human wisdom will bow to God’s wisdom.
- What you have faith in will fail or fulfill.
- What you have hope in will become a reality.
- The love you have from Jesus is what lifts you up, sees you through and is celebrated in the presence of Jesus.
Is it time for you to grow up and live up to a higher calling?
- When you were two, you thought and acted one way.
- When you were 10 – 20 – 40 – 60 you were different.
- What is holding you back from experiencing the fullness of the redemption and transformation Jesus purchased for you
- At a crossroad of wanting what we want vs what JC wants.
- I invite you to take the road less travelled, Jesus’ way.
Robert Frost wrote a poem about the road less travelled.
And both that morning equally lay in leaves no step had trodden black. So, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: two roads diverged in a wood, and I … I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
- The invitation: take the road that makes a difference.