FACING THE UNKNOWN (Psalm 46)
- Star Trek: space, the final frontier …
- Twilight Zone: there is a city dimension beyond that which is known to man …
- Outer Limits: there is nothing wrong with your television. Do not attempt to adjust the picture.
- Star Wars: “It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.
Proverbs 20:5 … The motivations of a person’s heart are deep waters, but one who has insight draws them out.
Psalm 46 …
- Verse 2-4: Confession of trust of the community, even if the creation were sinking into chaos
- Verse 5-8: View of the undisturbed security of the city of God, which cannot be shaken by the attack from outside
- Verse 9-12: Looking back on the victory of God and on his peacemaking power.
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Come and see what the Lord has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire. He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
In the facing the unknown, on what knowns do you focus?
- Controllables: loss of freedom, unknown, loneliness, rejection, death, failure.
- 70% – past … 20% – present … 10% – future … reverse it
- Flight – Fight – Freeze … think and think ahead
- If you want security, surrender to His sovereignty. We debate sovereignty, but it is hard to talk sovereignty and security if His Lordship is not primary in our lives.
Make certain that God is your refuge & strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear when things fall apart.
When we live fearless lives, that fearlessness becomes a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.
Have confidence that God is within her (church), she will not fall; God will help her at daybreak even as nations rage & nations fall.
Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
- Isaiah 30:15 – Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength.