Empowered to Dream … Acts 9:32 – 10:33
As Peter was traveling and proclaiming Jesus, he came to Lydda [near Joppa, SW of Jerusalem], healed Aeneas [bedridden for 8 years] and raised Tabitha from death. It was there in Joppa that he had a vision that was about to change his Christ-following worldview.
Acts 2:17-18 [Joel 2:28-29] … I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days.
That divine vision that makes it clear that we as Gentiles are coheirs with all people who claim Abraham as their spiritual and national origin.
- Dreams and visions are not something to be afraid of; but we should welcome them, not seek them.
- Dreams and visions are similar: waking vs sleeping.
- Visions and dreams may be attention getters and not clear, bullet point messages with full GPS.
- Dreams and visions can be revelations not of the future, but of who we are and needed attitude adjustments we need … Peter and Gentiles.
- Dreams and visions can be preparation for future events, such as Peter meeting Cornelius.
- Abram – Nehemiah – Gideon – Saul – Ananias
- Dreams and visions today [me]: Pastor Bill shared a few to show how they can work – BUT, what are your dreams and visions?
Wrap Up – God is more like 300 channel cable than 3 channel VHF/UHF. Tune into ALL the ways Jesus has of communicating to you.
The point: in what ways are we willing to let Jesus’ Holy Spirit talk to us? He can use Preaching – scripture – music – other people – life – visions and dreams?